Andrew Keller

My recovery: My life at its worst to absolute best.

In 2013, my new psychiatrist decided to try an aggressive medication change. This was the beginning of a year-long disaster. My life felt like it was crumbling. I kept telling my parents that I felt weird and something wasn’t right. It started with some depression and cognitive difficulties. This lasted for about two months. I didn’t know what was happening to me. Every day I would wake up hoping that I would go back to my old self. I would sit in my house and do nothing, which made everything so much worse. When June came I began feeling euphoric. I would exercise for hours on end. I would speak too fast and interrupt people, I had racing thoughts and I felt irritable. To this day, it’s not certain whether that was a full-blown manic episode or just hypomania.

I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder before the meds change began. Around late July of that year I started experiencing nocturnal panic attacks that would last for about six nights straight. That is where I crashed. I became very, very angry - I would say explosive. Arguments started, I would yell and scream every day and it was scary. I never experienced mood swings like that in my life. The mood swings would progressively get worse from late August into late October. I would occasionally break things or try to get physical. One night I cut my hand as I was crying for help. I realize now that I should have gone to the hospital right then and there. I started blacking out when I got angry. My parents said my eyes would bulge a bit. I never wanted to be this person. Once October came I fell into a depression. I would lay in my dad’s office and sleep all day. I couldn’t even feel my emotions. I remember one night so vividly. November 5, 2013. For no reason I can think of I got mad at my dad and threw a really big chair in my room multiple times. That night my dad sat on my bed and calmed me down as I took Risperdal.

The next day I admitted myself to an inpatient unit at North Shore LIJ . I was there for 20 days. I hated it so much, but I knew it was best for my safety and the safety of my loved ones. The doctors there changed my meds and I also received therapy and went to group sessions. Following that, I attended a partial hospitalization outpatient program for 6 1/2 weeks. It was imperative to have a plan after each step.

I pinch myself every day remembering how hard I worked to get to this point. It makes me so proud.

My life really changed once I attended the IPRT program, an affiliate of North Shore LIJ. There, I was assigned a case manager and set goals for myself to accomplish during my 18 months. I met people at this program who experienced similar life events. I made friends and become more social. From there, my confidence grew and I felt better about myself. I felt like I was starting to come around in my recovery probably during spring 2014.

My case manager encouraged me to volunteer at LIJ Medical Center, which I did for two months. It gave me such confidence - I felt that I could do anything. I am now a peer advocate who runs his own groups and works in the community.

I pinch myself every day remembering how hard I worked to get to this point. It makes me so proud. 

I have used a lot of coping skills to help me get through my mood swings or anxiety. I self-talk, walk away, and take a walk while listening to music. In addition, I watch comedies, wrestling and most importantly, I journal. The benefits of journaling are amazing. If I am upset then I get it out on paper and I feel relieved. I have journaled since the very first day I became sick. Just to turn negatives into positives. For me, therapy and the right meds have helped. It’s a balance. It would be great if medication cured mental illness, but therapy could help just as much.

There is hope out there.

by Andrew Keller


Would you like to share your story?

Email us at: or click below to fill our our form.